Today I submitted my talk proposal for WordCamp Bournemouth 2014. I have titled the proposed talk as “From Local to Staging to Live Using Version Control and Deployment”. I intend to present my development environment and how I develop sites on my local machine first, all the way through to how the site ends up live. Below are some of the things I will touch on:
- Setting up a local development environment using MAMP
- Using Github to store your code and provide version control for your project
- Tips and tricks for using Github with WordPress
- Making the most of a staging environment, where to host this and when to use it
- Integrating a deployment system so you can push versions of your project from your Git repository to staging or live sites.
This talk was something that I suggested back in 2013 at WordCamp Lancaster in the hope that someone would be able to present on this, as back then I didn’t have a clue. Thankfully Rob Miller delivered the talk, but as luck would have it I was busy being a site doctor in the other track!
Having spent the last 12 months learning about the best way forward here, I intend to share some of the things that I have learnt.
Leave a Reply